Sunday, April 21, 2013

The week ahead

The boys are asleep. Travis flew to Birmingham to be with his dad while Martha has surgery and recovers. I usually don't blog when he's away, but I need to on this. I'm afraid to write it out. Because when I write it's real. But that's what it is. Very real and scary. Martha has ovarian cancer and is having surgery tomorrow with the goal to remove it. She will start chemo within the month. It's not fair. It's complicated and unknown and mean. Martha is truly an angel. She is one of those women you want to be like. She is the best hostess. Her food comforts me. Her singing lulls my babies to sleep. Her back rubs make muscle ache and every worry go far away. Her cards on special occasions remind me I'm loved and am special. Her ability to stay up late and still have breakfast for everyone in the morning baffles me. She is an incredible example of "in sickness and health" with Travis's dad who has Alzheimer's. She answers each question as sweetly and patiently as the first time it was asked. She is so sweet and precious to us. So, for my boys' Gama, we prayed the longest, strongest, sweetest prayers tonight in anticipation of the week ahead, the road ahead. We love love love you, Martha!





No comments: