Sunday, April 14, 2013

I taught him how to whistle

We've been working on it a while. I showed Jack how to lick his lips and teeth, make his mouth small, and blow really hard. Today was the day. During nap time, instead of immediately going to sleep, we worked on whistling. And he did it! Jack threw his arms in the air and smiled so big. He whistled. What a fun memory.

We went to church this morning, and Travis observed the child care area to prepare for volunteering. We finished up the Simplify series, and Bill Hybels really honed in on bringing our best to God. Our all. 100%. Anything less is nauseating. I'm thinking and praying through how that can be applied to my life (which is a lot) and the impact it would make if I give my all to God. My kids would eat better. My husband would feel more loved. My body would be stronger. My mind would be filled with scripture and inspiring words from phenomenal writers. My friends would feel connected and served. It sounds exhausting, but I don't think it has to be. Whatever I set out to do, I need to give it my best. Colossians 3:23 "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters." Whatever I do, do it as if it is my gift to God. One thing the pastor emphasized was how God gave us nothing less than His best: His one and only spotless lamb, His only counselor, His eternal home. It's all His best.

I want to live a life that is everything I can give. No regrets. No leftovers. Totally living it to the full, in declaration of God's goodness. I know I'll fail, but I'll probably enjoy life a lot more trying than if I just sit around letting life happen.

And not to totally change the subject, but I forgot to mention that we've had this neighborhood rabbit that we bump into every once in a while. Jack had left a carrot for him previously, and he was ecstatic when the carrot was gone. Today, when we got home from church, I saw the rabbit. He's a timid little thing. We had Jack be really quiet and slowly walk to the gate to see him. He, of course, wanted to feed him. We threw him some blueberries. After a while, the rabbit had enough and hopped away.

What a good weekend.

No comments: