Sam got here Friday. The boys and I picked her up from the airport and were so happy to see her. Jack was so giddy. We drove back to the apartment and ate lunch. Rachel, a new babysitter, came over at 2:00 so Sam and I could explore downtown and catch up. We rode the train to the Chicago stop and walked over to Michigan Avenue, the Magnificent Mile. We were both wanting something sweet, so we walked over to Ghirardelli and split a hot fudge brownie sundae. Mmmmm. Then we just strolled down the mile. It was so crowded that we didn't notice the bazillion tulips lining the streets. We went in the Water Tower. We walked over to Travis's building and saw him. Then we walked to the river. Samantha semi-flipped out when the bridge shook, so we swiftly got on solid ground. By that point, it was about time to head back home. So we walked to the train and rode back. We stopped by Dominick's on our way back to grab a few groceries and cash for the sitter. Jack was still asleep when we got home, and Charlie was in the best mood. Successful babysitting experience. When Travis got home, we drove to Tarascas for dinner with the Thompsons. We drove home, and I got Charlie settled while Sam and my other boys went to Sweet Mandy B's for dessert. Sam and I stayed up talking until midnight when we couldn't keep our eyes open any longer and made ourselves go to bed.
Saturday morning we had breakfast and went to Jack's basketball practice. Jack was excited to show Sam his skills. We came home and let Charlie nap (our usual Saturday routine as you might have noticed). I went ahead and made some muffins for Sunday so I wouldn't have to deal with it before church. When Charlie got up, we ate lunch and did our best to make a plan for the day. Our first plan, going to Navy Pier, was scratched due to late nap/long lunch/anticipation of afternoon nap. We walked around the neighborhood and stopped by the resale shop and then went back home and sat outside for a bit while the boys played. Our second plan, letting the boys nap and just Sam and my going to Sears/Willis Tower, was scratched because, well, we got sucked in watching Real Housewives of Orange County (which neither of us EVER watch) and really didn't feel like getting out. I know, lame, but we were enjoying just visiting and relaxing. And her pregnant self can only do so much. We're fine being hermits, so that's what we did. Travis was irritated by our apathy of the city adventure possibilities, but by the third episode, he was sucked in, too. The boys awoke from their naps, and we drove and picked up Lou Malnati's pizza and ate it in the park. There was a young boys' baseball game going on, so that felt very community-ish, and I liked that. The weather was absolutely awesome while she was here. Then it was bath time and bedtime again. We talked late again and finally went to bed.
This morning we had breakfast and went to church. We went to a really good restaurant for lunch. I can't remember the name, but our food was really delicious and the service was great. I had steel cut oats with berries and a side of eggs. And some of Charlie's english muffin. Then it was time to take Sam to the airport. Boo. So sad. Jack held her hand tight on the way. I hate that we can't share yards and just do life together. So we were both so sad as our car drove away. Her belly is adorable, and I felt her son kick and squirm several times. I can't wait to meet him. And to see the rest of her family.
Miss you, Sam!!! Thank you, Travis and Adam, for making that wonderful visit happen. It was so good.





No comments:
Post a Comment