This weekend was fun for the boys. The weather was great (50s). We went to an Easter egg hunt at Wicker Park and saw the bunny. Jack was a little scared of him. Otherwise, we just played on the playground. Charlie had a blast, too. He kept sliding down the slide and trying to climb back up the wrong way.
At one point, Jack really wanted to go jump in the space jumper. Travis took him over and let him get in, but Jack just sat in the corner and covered his eyes. He clammed up. He's done this before, but he has done this much more lately. He's terrified in group settings. Travis got him out which, of course, upset Jack. While Travis and Charlie went to get the car, Jack and I climbed a tree and talked while we were there. He told me he was afraid the other kids would hit him or make fun of him. I asked him if he had ever been hit. No. Ever been made fun of? Yes. I asked him when, and he couldn't remember.
I'm thankful I have precious friends who can offer counsel and speak goodness and truth into this situation. Jack's reservation and one-on-one sincerity should be treasured. We need to encourage him to not let fear control his decisions. To that end, we enrolled him in soccer. He loved it in Clinton. We are hoping he can focus on the activity he loves, make a friend, and start to recognize and conquer those feelings.
After our talk, we drove home and went to Floriole for lunch. It's a French pastry/sandwich place near us. The wait staff was soooo very nice. The food was good. I drooled over several desserts but didn't get one. I knew or was hoping I'd be getting a Reese's egg for Easter. I'd been saving up nutritionally for that.
Then we went and played at the park so Jack could get some left over energy out. We met a little boy and his parents while we were there. They were so sweet. The mom was Meera, a beautiful Indian woman about 7 months pregnant with a little girl. The little boy's birthday is the same as Jack's. Jack was fascinated by that.
I know we did naps after that, but I can't remember what we did for dinner. All I remember about Saturday night was watching Les Miserables after the boys were asleep. Oh, y'all, I just love it. The songs have been stuck in my head since then. It's really fantastic. Travis and I saw it on broadway on our honeymoon, and I remember crying like a baby.
Easter Sunday we went to church. The boys were dressed like I would have dressed them back home for Easter, and people loved that. Smocking and tall socks aren't super common up here. We saw David's parents and Katy which was great. The celebration of our risen Jesus was wonderful. There were instances during the week when I was so clouded by the worries of the world, and I would remember Holy Week, get on my knees, and just thank and praise Jesus. The worries of this world are NOT eternal. My Jesus is. I'm overwhelmed and humbled that the power of the resurrection is in me. I'm so grateful that I have Jesus.
We came home and had Easter lunch that Travis had prepared. Here's the confession: Travis is so much better at holiday, birthday, special occasion celebrations than I am. I feel like that's an inadequacy of mine. I care, really. It just kinda sneaks up on me. Every single time. I am working on it. Father's Day will be awesome.
For the record, I did get a HUGE Reese's egg, which Jack helped me eat, and I loved every single bite. No guilt.





1 comment:
Goodness, I miss y'all... And, that last pic of you and Charlie-- I would say "twins" but you already have one (me!). But he is looking more & more like you every day. I love y'all! xoxoxoxoxo...
-Sam
Post a Comment