Monday, January 7, 2013

First full day in Chicago - Saturday January 5th

We woke up to our screaming baby around 4:00. He was ticked about something, and I couldn't figure it out. I fed him four or five times before he finally fell back to sleep at 6:15. We both slept until 8:30. When we got up, I noticed that he is cutting FIVE teeth right now. Yes, five. I knew he was cutting his other three front molars earlier in the week, which they take forever and are very painful to cut. But he's now also getting his top canines in. That's just wrong. I mean, he is writhing. We gave him Tylenol and Motrin and a cold rag to suck on.

We got up and had some breakfast and started unpacking again. It seriously looked like a donation center. I hate not knowing where things are, and we labeled well. It's just a mess. Around 10:00, the boys all left to go pick up Travis's Aunt Kelley from the airport. She came to help us unpack - I cannot begin to say how grateful I am.

When they got back, we ordered lunch from John's Place. It was very good (burgers) but also very pricey. We didn't know that before we ordered. The rest of the day was a lot of the same... unpacking and organizing. Yuck. But Kelley does not play when it comes to unpacking. I'm ashamed to say that she's done waaaay more than I have since she has gotten here.

It snowed while Jack was napping, poor thing. I know we'll see it so much, and I honestly do not look forward to it, but for Jack it's a big deal. That afternoon, our realtor popped in and gave us housewarming treats - cupcakes, a gift card to a cafe that's local, and a little book to get us acquainted with our new city. How sweet!

We stopped at some point to get dressed and go eat Tarascas with the Thompsons. When we went to park, evidently Travis was in a bad spot like blocking an alley because this dude was laying on his horn and shouting expletives while Travis was running to pay, and he almost hit Jack. It was not a clean scene.

Once inside, we settled in and enjoyed ourselves. I had bean nachos. They were really good. The atmosphere was fun, too. The lights were down, there were TVs playing music videos, and there was a projector that made the room have red and green polka dot lights dancing all over it. Speaking of music videos, little Theo can bust a move. He shimmies his shoulders, bops his head, and has some serious rhythm. It's so cute!! When we walked back to the car, Jack finally saw a little bit of snow. He was really happy.

We drove over to Sweet Mandy B's for dessert. It's like a little candyland on the inside, very pastel and whimsical. I got a carrot cupcake, Jack got a snowman cookie, Travis got tea (what's up with that?). I made myself only eat half of my cupcake. Theo saw this teensy easement between the two rooms and ran back and forth over that thing a zillion times. Liz said he loves a ramp. I love watching toddlers figure out the world.

Then we went home and started our record all over again. One day these boxes will be gone.

No comments: