Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Under the weather

I've been a super slacker when it comes to blogging. Sorry

Last night I went to bed with a headache, and this morning I woke up not being able to tolerate light at all and feeling nauseous, stiff-necked with a tremendous headache behind my eyes. I called my doctor's assistant who talked to my doctor. Within seconds she said that he wanted me to go to the ER. Yuck.

I got Jack to mother's day out, and Charlie and I met Travis at UMC. The waiting room looked like a movie, but they expedited me through, and I was in a treatment room in about 20 minutes. Praise the Lord. I was feeding Charlie when they called me back and lost a nursing pad, and the nurse jokingly said that one of the other patients was probably wearing it as a hat. She totally understood our not wanting to be in the waiting room.

From the second they called us back to the second we were discharged was such a great experience. Everyone was awesome. Doctors, nurses, ambassador, and lactation nurse. Awesome. Plus Lee Walker was there- always good to have a friend prayerfully present.

So after the history and physical, the attending came in and said he was thinking subarachnoid hemorrhage. Not at all in my differential. My doctor and I both thought meningitis. Either way, we had already done a CT scan and they wanted to do bloodwork and a lumbar puncture which would evaluate both. CT scan and LP were clear. Btw, the resident did a truly painless LP. Bloodwork showed thrombocytopenia and leukopenia, but nothing really came of that. So after 5 hours in the ER, I left with the same symptoms and a diagnosis of possible migraine. I'm fine (relatively) with the symptoms since it's nothing serious. It's just so strange- I never get headaches. Ever. Hopefully it'll go away, and I will have had an isolated migraine.

I've kept myself in the dark, and the rain has helped all of us sleep. Here's hoping I wake up with a clear head in the morning.

No comments: