Saturday, September 22, 2012

Happy Fall!

We are so glad it's officially Fall!

Yesterday was Jack's very first field trip. In the morning, Ms. Lynn had her yellow shirt on that the kids know they wear for a field trip, and they all got their little yellow shirts on, too. They loaded up on the buses and went a whole 2 blocks to Dairy Queen. I went, too. I wasn't allowed to ride the bus with him, but he did great! Once they were there, he was so excited. He gobbled up his "chockit" ice cream. All the kids practiced their manners and acknowledged that they were using the sense of taste. Travis thought it was hilarious that they were trying to make a trip for ice cream count as an educational experience. Once they were done, they walked single file back to the buses and went back to school. I followed behind them. They had a great time. I had been on call Thursday night and was past exhausted, so I got the boys and we all went home and slept.

Last night we ate supper and played at Sam and Adam's. Cruze kept jumping on Jack's stomach. He would seriously wrestle him down to the ground and sit on him. Jack is two years older but obviously not a challenge for little Cruze. At one point Aiden read me a book about when Bambi grows up. I cried. His little voice is so cute, and he was "reading" from memory. It was adorable. I was distracted during the page when Bambi's mom dies. So I asked him, "Oh, wait. What happened to Bambi's mom?" He looked at me as if he really didn't want to hurt my feelings by telling me this sad news. Then he said "She got killed. The man hunter killed her. He was hungry." Just like that. Keep in mind this child doesn't know that people actually hunt, much less eat the game. Then he continued on with the story. The rest of the night was spent talking and laughing and just loving on those kiddos. We love being with them.

Today was a super lazy day for the boys and me. Trav worked on his dissertation. We all stayed in our pj's all day. Charlie played hard in the bath tonight. Now he's asleep, and the rest of us are watching football and playing games.

One more story. Jack is learning his colors. In particular, he knows that green means go and red means stop. We were stopped at a light the other day, and Jack noted that we were stopped because the light was red. Then, I had a stretch of sneezes when I couldn't look ahead. Jack said very insistently, "Mama, green means go!" I started going and halfway trough the intersection realized the light was still red when the driver of a car was rightfully trying to turn and was flipping me the bird and mouthing curse words my way. Whoops. The three-year-old in the backseat has not taken driver's ed yet. My bad.

No comments: