Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The time has come

Tomorrow I return to work. Yesterday I took the boys to daycare for a little familiarity for all of us. Jack's friends tackled him. His best buds Ellen Claire and Cooper were so wonderful to him. EC kept saying "This is my best buddy." Jack smiled so big and waved me off. I knew he'd be fine. He didn't even want to eat breakfast or get dressed for the day. He has been ready.

Then it was Charlie's turn. We took him to his room and got everything settled. His teacher swooped him up and talked to him and had him cackling and cooing in no time. Then bottle time came. I had walked through the feeding plan with them, and they were ready. I left and went to Walmart so I wouldn't freak out. I returned to a sleepy little boy with an empty tummy. He played with the bottle for thirty minutes and didn't drink a drop. Oh boy.

We went home, and I started freaking out a bit. No. A LOT. My distress about returning to work was now compounded by the fact that Charlie refused to take a bottle. I called Mary Lou. After we talked, I felt encouraged and hopeful. And determined.

Travis came home last night, and before he got Charlie up to feed him we walked through the feeding plan again. He went and got sleepy Charlie, snuggled him up and offered the bottle. One little suck. And then another. And then he took off!! I burst into tears, and Travis was so proud!! Charlie polished off a little over an ounce without the first whimper or choking spell. He actually cried when Travis took the empty bottle out of his mouth. This is a breakthrough! I am so incredibly grateful. His ability to eat makes my leaving him so much more bearable.

So, tomorrow I get to walk a little faster, stand longer, think harder, and type a whole lot more than I have in the past 12 weeks. And (the best part) love on many more babies. I am excited and nervous and sad. If I could just keep my little ones in my pocket... Man, being a mama is tough!

Farewell, temporary full-time stay-at-home mom job. I hope to see you again in a few years, Lord willin'.


No comments: