Our small-group friends Ian and Mindi did a three-day juice fast the weekend before Thanksgiving. Travis heard about their groupon-inspired cleanse, and he thought that sounded fab. And he, being HARD-to-the-CORE, decided he'd up the anty and do a SIX DAY JUICE CLEANSE ...... WHEN WE HAD FRIENDS IN TOWN!! I knew that was not going to be fun. The recently popular word "hangry" was fully defined and displayed last week. I, being somewhat supportive/somewhat desiring some health benefits of juicing, decided to commit to the 3-day version, after our friends left, because I love life and food.
So Travis started out Monday the 2nd. As I said, he's hard-core. Never wavered. I made pork-carnita tacos that night, he didn't budge. Tuesday was ok, he was just tired. Wednesday, the hanger set in when Liz made a blueberry cobbler. My mouth is watering. Poor Travis.
So Thursday, I started the fast. I actually enjoy vegetable/green juices. Evidently I've only made and ingested ones with supernaturally blessed sweeteners and extra delicious fruits because these were honestly so gross they made me gag and cry. Oh, wait, that was probably just the stomach bug that hit after the third juice of the day. The bug that made me think I was going to die. Two hours later, I did do my best to get the 4th juice down. Couldn't do the 5th - got sick just smelling it. Gladly drank the 6th- cashew milk. I would have been so happy with saltines and a banana. Why did they feel the need to put cucumber in their juices? That ruined everything.
I was so weak and nauseous when I woke up Friday that I immediately put all my juices in the freezer and drank my shakeology with almond milk. That was the smartest decision. It still took all day eating whole foods to get my energy back. I think Travis was secretly wishing he'd get the bug, too, so he could quit that nonsense and eat! I was begging him to eat so he would be happy. I'm terrible, I know.
Saturday, Travis did eat a salad and some veggies and hummus but still drank his last juices. He was giddy.
So, we have a shelf of juices in our freezer. I'm hoping to pull them out one-per-day in the future. We'll see. Honestly, that fast was absurd, and I only hung in for one measly day. Their juices made me hate my life. I'm well aware that the stomach bug onset contributed to my opinion, which is why I'm leaving their name out. I've heard their smoothies are delicious. I'm such a pansy. Travis, on the other hand, owned that fast. He completed 5 2/3 days without a morsel of food. Just the disgusting juices. Whoa.
No comments:
Post a Comment