Those were the fancy words on Charlie's informed consent this morning. Myringotomy=incision in ear drum. Tympanostomy=artificial opening in ear drum (i.e. tube).
He had some apple juice at 3:30 this morning and went back to sleep. We were at UMC at 6:00. We checked in, got our parking pass, and then headed to the 6th floor for pre-op. I changed him into his little peach hospital gown, he had vitals taken, and we played for a while. Travis got there right as were heading to the 7th floor to the holding area.
The CRNA, Susan, and the anesthesiologist, Dr. Adams, came and chatted for a second about their part. They were so sweet, and we felt very comforted having them take care of Charlie. Then Dr. Reed gave us the run down on the procedure and what to expect over the next few months and years. We signed and gave permission for the procedure. I passed Charlie off to Susan, and Dr. Reed walked us to the waiting room. We got a call that Charlie was asleep at 7:08. Dr. Reed came to tell us how it went at 7:12. The case was scheduled for 7:15. Wow! He laughed as he apologized for making us wait so long. He said Charlie did great and that the ear drums did have changes and findings consistent with ear infections. Thankfully, since we had just treated for an infection, we don't have to do drops. He is the nicest doctor. He told us to find a good pediatrician in Chicago who could then refer us to an ENT for follow-up at 6 months. I'm sad that we won't see him down the road.
A nurse came and got me when Charlie was in recovery. They had warned us several times that he would probably be irritable coming out of the anesthesia. When I walked through the doors, I could hear his piercing cry. He was so mad and was crying so hard that he was gagging. I scooped him up and tried to comfort him. His nurse, Valerie, helped me calm him down, got him some juice and Tylenol, and then pulled the curtains so he could eat. She was awesome. He finally got relaxed and comfortable when he had eaten and the medicine had worn off. I did find out that he hates having his blood pressure taken. Three different people said that, and then I saw it with my own eyes. After about 30 minutes, we went back to the 6th floor. We caught the elevator with a heart surgeon who Charlie was staring down.
Valerie (nurse) to doctor: "He's trying to figure you out."
Doctor to Charlie: "I'm not going to do anything to you."
Me to doctor: "No, his heart is perfect." I couldn't help it.
We had a very short time on the 6th floor and were discharged by 8:30. We had a great experience. The whole crew was awesome. I am so very thankful we have these tubes now! Hopefully my sweet boy can get some relief and steer clear of infections.
And it took longer to write this post than it did to do the procedure. I'm still amazed.





2 comments:
Glad he is better. Tubes have been a blessing for Mason. Get ready to enjoy a happier little boy. :)
Post a Comment