Saturday, November 10, 2012
ER visit
I was changing Charlie's diaper across the house when I heard a bloody-murder scream of my name from Travis, who had been bathing Jack in our shower. I ran into the bathroom to find Travis holding a blood-soaked towel to Jack's head and little Jack covered in blood. And chunks of hair on the floor. I immediately went into ultra-calm mode and started quietly walking Travis through our course of action as I took Jack into my arms and cradled him to the floor. Travis was panicking telling me what happened: Jack was stepping out of the shower, his foot slipped on the tracking, and he fell backwards onto the tracking. Jack was consolable as long as I had really hard pressure on his head. I got Travis to call Brittnye to keep Charlie so we could get Jack to the ER. She and her mom came right over and got Charlie and his belongings, we got Jack cleaned up and dressed. At this point the bleeding had slowed down enough for me to figure out how big the laceration was. It was impressive. It was as wide, long, and deep as my thumb. Literally. My right thumb turned sideways exactly fit the hole in my child's head. I was pretty sure I saw bone. So we scooped him up and got in the car. He was such a brave, calm boy. We got to the ER and waited for a while before we went to a room. Once we were back to a room we waited even longer for the doctor to come see us, ask us the story and examine Jack, and make a plan. Then we waited another forever before they put on this incredible ointment, Let (lidocaine epinephrine and tetracaine). Once that stuff kicked in, Jack was wild because he wasn't hurting anymore. Waiting. X-ray of skull - no fracture. More waiting. Finally Travis had to leave to go take Charlie more milk because we had been there 3 hours. Jack told me he was hungry, so I snuck him some cookies even though the nurse told him not to eat just in case they had to sedate him for stitches. Sometimes you just gotta break the rules. Right as he swallowed the last bite, they came in to suture. First I bear-hugged Jack as they shaved around the laceration. He said it tickled. Then they told me to lay him down so they could keep him still. His little eyes started rolling. It was 3:30 (way passed nap time). Within 5 seconds he was snoring. I mean sawing major logs. He moved once while the doctor was injecting lidocaine and said ouchy in his sleep. Then he slept very deeply through every single stitch (19, by the way). Suturing took 25 minutes because it was a full thickness laceration (down to the bone, yes, I did see my child's skull), and the site looks like it will be a minimal scar, relatively. Finally, we woke him up to give him a popsicle and make sure he was neurologically fine. All was well. They gave us a prescription for antibiotics, and we were on our way. Jack was a rock star. I cannot believe my amazing child. The prayers of several righteous people made that trip painless for Jack. Thank you, Father, for hearing and answering. And thank you Aprile for being such a great doctor to our sweet Jack.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment