Saturday, January 11, 2014

Jack's first fiddle

I thought today was the first day of violin lessons. And this is why I don't keep a calendar. I have a ridiculous memory when it comes to dates, numbers, and names. Well, ever since the new-year-new-you campaign, I can't remember a single thing because I'm putting it down on paper instead of committing it to memory. So I confused the dates of the first class and showed up today ready to take notes. The lady was kind and said she was glad to meet me ahead of time. I laughed it off and drove home and got Jack to go get his violin!

We drove over to Roscoe Village, one neighborhood west of us, to a stringed instrument store that was recommended by the teacher. They were sweet and included Jack in every step, showed him a few other instruments, taught him how to put away the violin, and let him sneak upstairs to watch someone during lessons. 

He was very excited to get home and show Travis. 

We let him get use to handling it and caring for it and let him play for a while. He's very interested and focused. He's been asking to learn to play for about a year now, and the lady at the store said 4 is a good age - old enough to process, young enough to learn quickly and easily. We'll find out soon!

Tonight we ate at City Farms. It's a short walk from us and is a cozy place with organic, farm-to-table comfort foods. Yum! We will definitely go back! Hopefully, we'll catch brunch some time. 

And not to get way off subject, but I saw this quote tonight by Ann Voskamp: "Don’t grieve that it’s gone, wonder that it was. Laugh that you lived and dance that you dared. Inhale that it happened — and it was grace."... Her original post of that was from when her oldest was preparing for college. I read it and thought of the wonder and glory of redemption in my dad's life, the ache of letting go, the bittersweet days in between. 

Then I thought of the wonder of today. These two boys just wild with life. I adore them. The moments are fleeting! Soaking. Them. Up. 

My dad once bought all of us guitars, harmonicas, anything to possibly engage us with music. I was almost paralyzed in the instrument store when I remembered the tapes, books, my initials inside the guitar. Goodness gracious, he tried so hard to better us, to connect, to pour his ever-loving heart out in some tangible way. I sit here and count it grace, in wonder that it was. Inhaling that this sweet life of mine has happened and is happening. 

God has taken it all and made it very good. Over a span of years, I watched a lonely, unaccepted, tough man find real love, acceptance, and warmth when He finally saw who Jesus is. Something I had prayed for since July 4, 1995, the day I found Jesus. As an 11-year-old, all I knew was that my life was really messed up, and what I felt with Jesus was finally right. And I wanted everyone that was hurting and far from God to know that right feeling. My experience was in the middle of crafts time at Camp Garaywa after Gayden had signed "watch the lamb" the night before. It just dawned on me what it all meant, and I almost threw up. I was so overwhelmed with the realization of my sin and what Jesus did! I immediately started praying for lost people. 

So, that's the wonder I've seen in Dad's life. A prayer that was prayed for 18 years, and who knows how long by others, finally answered, at just the right time. Building a relationship through walls and years and finally becoming friends. Countless times asking about salvation with a jaded and cynical "no", but that one sweet "yes" changed everything. A heart finally alive and clean, as the body was fading. The intense trust, honesty, and care we (Dad, Sam, our husbands, God) exchanged for two months. That was such a remarkably holy time, unknowingly preparing our hearts for this momentary separation. I don't think I will ever be able to communicate what work the Holy Spirit did during that time - because my mind can't see it all! God just keeps giving me glimpses. Just about killing me with his holiness. I am so unholy. So grateful for His unbelievable grace. 

And good grief, this all started with a violin!

1 comment:

Kimber said...

Jack's great, great grandmother played the violin, very well I might add! Great story, excellent pics. Love and miss you all !