The boys slept until 8:15, and I threw them in the car with our complimentary breakfast and hit the road. Just after we got through Memphis, Jack lost his too-quickly-drunk juice all over the car. That led to a 45-minute gas station bathroom cleanup.
Then somewhere between Senatobia and Winona, Charlie couldn't take a second more of that 12 hour trip. He was flipping out, and I just kept driving until I could get to the next exit. Jack, having some experience when it comes to car flip-outs, whisper-yelled, "Charlie, be quiet! You're going to lose Mama's marbles!" I swear I've only used that phrase once in his childhood, but it happened to be on our last long trek from Chicago to Jackson. We did that trip in one day, and I think I actually did, in fact, lose my marbles on that journey. It's sort of comical doing that length of a trip alone with two little kids. At a certain point of tantrum-provoked insanity, you just start laughing. At least I do. Otherwise, I'd go blind from crying.
But we're here, all marbles in tow, and we are glad to have a week together without me having to get up and go far away at the last minute. I'm close to the hospital, and I have my babies. Just wish Travis was here!

No comments:
Post a Comment