Jack and Charlie had a long afternoon at the GI doctor Friday. Mrs. Mary Lee went with me since Trav was out of town, and I honestly don't know what I would have done without her. The boys' doctor was extraordinary. Really. Jack was first, and at the end of a very extensive history and examination, it was decided that he needed to have a barium enema to evaluate for Hirschsprung's. My brother has Hirschsprung's, so this has concerned me all of Jack's tummy-troubled life. Then we got some instructions to clean his system and start new with potty-training and positive reinforcement for any effort he makes to go.
Then Charlie was up. Doctor was immediately concerned that his stature has gone from 50th percentile to 10th. So the thought was hypothyroidism. We went ahead and finished up history and exam, and it was decided that he, too, needed to be evaluated for Hirschsprung's. So both boys were scheduled for barium enemas for Tuesday morning.
Then it was time for bloodwork for poor Charlie. They got it on the first stick, and we were almost out the door when the doctor stopped me and said that the bloodwork should be changed to test for Celiac. Since Charlie is developmentally appropriate and otherwise alert and active, thyroid was ruled out for the moment. So that means that until the test comes back, I'm gluten free for Charlie. Gluten is readily excreted in milk, so I need to steer clear. I am really really hoping it isn't Celiac. Good grief, that would stink.
Then today Charlie was fussy. His nursery workers at church were concerned that he wasn't his usual easy self. So I fed him, and we left church early. He was pretty needy and whiny today. When he woke up from his afternoon nap, he was radiating heat. His left ear was red, and he screamed when I touched it. His temp was 101.3. This scenario is familiar to Charlie and me now. I called the after-hours line just to see if I could get something called in since I'm certain it's an ear infection. They said I'd have to see someone tomorrow. This will be his third treated ear infection; although we've nursed him through a couple more without antibiotics. So, after we see someone tomorrow, I'm sure it'll be recommended that he get tubes. At this point, bring it. I just want him to feel better. Please, let something give.
That's about as much as I can handle to write right now. I'm so overwhelmed with everything that has hit this week. I just need a break. I'm desperate for my boys to be surrounded by a hedge of protection.
This picture is how I found the boys when we got home from the doctor on Friday. Absolutely pitiful.

No comments:
Post a Comment