Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Jack is three!

Our little boy turned three today. Travis wanted to take Jack to the MC soccer fields to play for a bit this morning, but for the first time in a year, Jack slept until 8. When he did finally wake up, he said, "It's my happy birthday!". We had blueberry muffins for breakfast and let him open a few small gifts before Travis left for work. He got the Jesus Storybook Bible (LOVE IT!), a $1 rubber snake, and Pooh's Heffalump Movie.

Those three things were enough to have him entertained all day long. And it's a good thing, too, because it started pouring and left us confined to the house for a majority of the day. One exception to that was when we went to daycare to have cupcakes with his class. They were all so sweet to Jack and sang very loudly to him. He was ready to come right back home as soon as that was done.

We came back home and hunkered down because Charlie wasn't feeling so good. He hardly ever cries, and he was pretty much screaming all day. I had called the pediatrician to see if someone could look at his ears, but they only had an opening after hours. When they threatened me not to wait too long because I could risk a ruptured ear drum, we went ahead and took Charlie at 6:10 to the after hours clinic on Lakeland. Not the happiest time of the day for any of us. The doctor said his ears looked perfect and that he suspects his discomfort is teething and tummy issues. Poor baby. And poor Jack for that happening on his birthday.

We came back to Clinton, got some Mabex for Charlie's gums, gourmet Pizza Hut pizza for dinner (at Jack's request... it is his birthday, after all), and then got home in time to sing happy birthday at 7:26pm- the time Jack was born. He was very excited to blow out his candle, especially after he's seen so many people do that lately. He opened the rest of his great presents, and he was very sad to go to bed so soon afterward. He really wanted to play with his toy tool kit, doctor's kit, and tee ball set. What made me want to cry was when, with the lights off, he kept saying "I want to read my bible about Jesus. Read me the book about Jesus, mama." When I was praying with him during bedtime, he thanked God for his "very very happy birthday". Bless his sweet little heart. I thank God for the incredible blessing Jack is to our lives.

Three years ago at this time, I was waiting for Alice Chaney to bring Jack out of transition. Sitting in our hospital room with our closest friends. I remember how exhausted and yet wide awake I was, so overwhelmed with the new love of my life. So grateful for both of our health. So excited about the new stage of life I was starting. And so eager to hold him in my arms and kiss his sweet face and get to know my innocent first baby.

Goodness. It's so vivid. It was just yesterday, really. I remember the smell of the hospital room. I had a flameless lavender candle. I remember the gown swallowing him whole. That cute little nose that I couldn't stop kissing. And how his ankles were always crossed. Those moments are still so fresh in my mind!

And now I have this adorable, funny, hilarious little boy who runs through my house naked, guzzles chocolate milk like his life depends on it, and desperately wants to be just like his daddy. He's obsessed with all things sports, he closes his eyes super tight during prayers, and he adores his cousins, one beautiful little girl EC, and his best buddy Cooper. God made one priceless little miracle in Jack Schmitz. I am more in love with little Jack today than I ever could have imagined. He is just so wonderful! God made me for these boys- my ode to Charlie will come in two weeks when he's six months old (someone please make time STOP!). Thank you, thank you, Jesus for the greatest blessings in the world. Your grace is more than enough. Your riches are too good!

No comments: