Sunday, May 27, 2012

High school reunion

I'm ashamed that I don't have a single
picture from this morning. It was good to see faces that I've only seen via facebook for 10 years. It was a super quick trip. We left for Greenville at about 8:30, got to Washington School at 10:30.

We had brunch, although Travis and I realized afterwards that neither of us really ate because we kept corralling the boys. After brunch we walked through the school, looked at old pictures, and saw the new addition to the elementary school with its neat mosaic mural and library reading nook.

Couldn't believe that Mrs McDowell and Mrs. Bixler still have the same rooms. The grill is still the grill. And Rodney Brown really hasn't changed a bit. But then Michael Garletts has twins and a preschooler. Jeremy is a vet, his intention since forever ago. Sloane's sweet wife Amanda is due any day now with little Alden Cooper. But I swear Hank Garrett and Kelly Covington just froze in time because they look the exact same way they did when we graduated. Some things have definitely changed while others seem the same, only a little older.

It was hot as blazes, and Jack was a little inconsolable. We made a mad dash out around 11:45.

We went and got him ice cream and stopped by to see Mama Joyce. She didn't talk. The only words she said were "I've been" when I asked her how she's been, but she didn't finish. I asked her if she'd smile for me, and she grinned very big as her eyes filled with tears. I miss her so much. So so much.

We were home at 3:40. The boys and I fell asleep at 5:00. They are still sleeping, and now I'm wired because I'm pretty well-rested. So I'm thinking about today. It was sort of surreal, I guess, and there were people I definitely wish had been there, too. Like Kevin, Ashley, and little Leo. And Lee and Jason. And Callie. And so many others. They were missed. I am glad I went for the quick visit. It was good.

No comments: