Yesterday morning, Monday January 23, 2012 I went for an appointment at 8am. My blood pressure was considered criteria for terminal pregnancy hypertension. So doctor said she wanted to see an ultrasound. Charlie did just perfect. However, my fluid was high and looked to be full of meconium. She said she could not ignore it, and it was time to get baby. She told me to go home, have a good cry and something to eat, and then get excited about having my baby. The plan was to get to UMC at lunch and start induction.
Travis and I headed home and gathered last minute items. We got Jack from daycare and took him to Sam's and then went to UMC.
We started with pitocin and water breaking at 1:30pm. Things were steady and definitely tolerable. Friends and family came to visit and helped pass the time and distract me.
At about 7pm things changed. Contractions went from tolerable to very intense, and I could not focus. I felt like something was wrong. I was making great progress but miserably so.
I requested some stadol to relax and help things progress. Travis was super supportive and encouraging. Stadol made me loopy but didn't touch the pain. I felt like he was posterior.
With a check, our L&D nurse Katie (amazing!!) expressed concern for a malpresentation, an ear or some other part was making its debut instead of fontanelles. Shame on Charlie. I knew that that did not bode well for me, and I quickly said I wanted the epidural. I knew where this was going.
Poor anesthesiologists, I'm so sorry. I cursed the ground they walked on while they placed my epidural during contractions. And Travis works with them, eek! No relief from epidural, awesome. I asked Travis if I was a weenie, and everyone in the room in unison said "no." By the way, Charlie looked perfect all day long, praise the Lord.
Doctor checked me after epidural and said his nose was the presenting part. According to her this happens 1 in 500 births. Seriously?! She said she'd give me until 8:00pm and if he hadn't changed she would have to get him by cesarean. He was so engaged there was no hope of repositioning.
I was a tad hysterical for those 20 minutes as anesthesia attempted to ask me questions about whether I had ever had general anesthesia... Declaring that sense my epidural wasn't working I would have to be put under. Way more tears now.
Doctor came in, nose was still leading the way, and the decision was made to deliver Charlie by C-section. Samantha came in and hugged and hugged and hugged me as I sobbed. We share a deep desire for natural delivery. She knew how upset I was. Travis got his sterile attire on (he actually looked so cute, it made me smile). He comforted me with hugs and lots of love. We shifted over to a stretcher, and off we went to get our baby.
As they were prepping me, I kept feeling their test for numbness. The anesthesiologist started giving me oxygen and pushing general. I asked them if they could wait and try one more time to let the medicine work. At that moment God was allowing a previously breech baby to enter this world by vertex "normal" delivery (keeping it PG), and my doctor said she'd be back in ten minutes. Thank you, Jesus.
She came back, and I couldn't feel a thing!!! I was going to get to stay awake during surgery. Peace overcame me. Travis came to sit by me. About 10 minutes and lots of pressure later, I felt my stomach get super empty and heard a roar of celebration over my little baby Charlie. He let out a huge cry, and so did I. My baby was here and healthy! He was pink and perfect.
Alice Chaney took him to be examined, and they began the completion of my surgery. Travis brought Charlie to me for lots of kisses, and then he went away to transition with Alice Chaney (so grateful for her). Charlie weighs 3210grams: 7lbs 1oz, and is 20 inches long. He was born at 9:34pm, January 23, 2012.
I went to recovery. At some point, Charlie came to eat. That was a little pointless because I was so loopy, and they wouldn't let me raise the head of my bed. Early this morning I came to my postpartum room. Charlie soon followed. He ate like a champ and tooted countless times. He has a little laceration under his right eye. He had been bathed and smelled like Heaven. I couldn't stop staring at him and thanking God for protecting both of us during such chaos.
I'm so very grateful for the miracle of life. Before we fell asleep this morning, Travis prayed over us and praised God for His goodness. We are blessed beyond measure and absolutely adore this little boy! I promise to post pictures soon!!
Charlie, welcome to our world! We love you more, so much more than you'll ever know.
No comments:
Post a Comment