Monday, November 25, 2013

On the lighter, brighter side

One of my small group friends came over this morning for a CPR run-down (shout out, Whitney!). We have a pact to not let the ice and otherwise weather misery get us down this Chicago winter. We will be social and normal human beings! And her daughter is uber-adorable, so I must see her more. 

I told Travis that I love that Whitney and I are both edging on granola/crunchy but trying to not weird other people out by that. It's honestly just fun for me to be learning about essential oils and herbs, wool dryer balls, cloth diapering (yes, we're there), and greener living. I DO NOT judge. Sister, or brother if a boy is reading, I totally enjoy a fast-food meal, the convenience of a disposable diaper, the affordability of conventional foods, and the smell of regular laundry/hygiene essentials. I am a book worm and a bit of a geek. It's in my blood to do things old-school - thanks, Dad. I really want a natural, drug-free delivery at some point in my mothering phase of life, I am a breastfeeding advocate, and I love the idea of creating things with my own hands like sewing and making my own household items. And it just feels earthy and hippyish to go green and tree-hugger every once in a while. It feels, to me (and I stress the TO ME part), very much back to the way God designed things to be. Again- just me. I won't judge you. So please don't judge me when I down a brownie and ice cream, k?

I also have some desperate reasons to try natural products: Charlie has serious diaper rashes; the boys have resiliently undiagnosed tummy issues; and my grandmother and Travis's dad both suffered and died from alzheimers. I don't want that. I don't want my kids to witness that, either. We have double wammies coming at our kids if I don't start major prevention strategies. 

So I'm migrating towards clean, green, natural, whatever you want to call it for multiple reasons.  To sum it all up: hobby, health, and natural inclination. I have a whole lot to learn and even more self-control to practice to fully embrace all that entails. And honestly, there are some things I probably won't change completely. Because God created Italian food for my pleasure, I'm sure of it. 

Travis thinks I'm weird. I vowed to hang on to my razor, so we're good. 

Speaking of don't-judge. My kids LOVE Nutella. I do, too, but I really really try to avoid it. Because if I look at it, I gain 10 pounds. It's atrocious for my health, even though my mouth tells me other things. Aaaanyway, the boys are obsessed. Sweet little Charlie was eating his Nutella toast at lunch today, and Jack ran and told me he was asleep. Oh, love.  I could not handle that sweetness. Why is it so pitifully adorable when a kid falls asleep where they aren't expected to? It makes me want to cry it's so cute. I cleaned him up, transferred him to his room, changed his diaper, and put him in his bed without him budging. And I wanted to just squeeze him! So so sweet. 

No comments: