As a boy family, we don't really have attachments to dolls, stuffed animals, etc. We let Jack pick out some "friends" who can sleep with him, but he's not attached. I thought that was the same for Charlie until last week when I tried to pack away his lovey, a giraffe blanky that Jack got as a baby from Alice Chaney. I was putting it in the Rubbermaid box when he started pounding on the lid and screeching. Charlie's pretty chill, so I knew something was in that box that was making him unhappy. I picked up the lid, and he took a nose-dive for lovey and didn't put it down the rest of the day. He's been sleeping with lovey for a while, and I just didn't connect the dots that he was deliberately getting it. Tonight, I turned out the lights to rock him, without lovey, and he was whining and "ugh ugh"-ing looking for it. So we stopped, turned on the lights and found lovey in the closet. He immediately grabbed it (him?), motioned for his crib, and snuggled up with lovey under his chest and went to sleep without needing to rock first.
For a split second I thought I should cut the strings before he gets too attached. And then I realized it's just so adorable that I can't bear to do that. Too cute to take away.
This also reminded me of
Lillian's "bank"... So funny. Does she still love her bank, Casey?
No comments:
Post a Comment